Quick outdoor kids tent


At the beginning of this month we were celebrating Ela's 5th Birthday.



I decided to throw a little party in the garden this year , the weather was perfect that time in London ;)
Temperature has risen to 30'C week before so I started to worry about amount of shade for the kids.

I had a tent on mind for some time now , searching internet for ideas...
Finely I choose to check my flat and garden sheds for potential materials and stuff I can use to make one :)

What did I found to make a tent :
2 metal stand plant holders
2 bamboo sticks
strong viscose string
old duvet cover
6 tent pegs
Sharpie markers (optional)


Bare in mind, if you are willing to build a quick tent yourself  I am not expecting from you to use the same stuff obviously , it's just an inspiration :)
I am trying to encourage you to look around and get an idea of what can be useful for this project.
The purpose is to reuse items we already have , without buying anything !

This is how was done...

Step 1.
Making a tent construction .



I make the construction by pushing down two planter holders deep into a ground.
Then I connected two bamboo stick together with a string and tied it to the holders too leaving a string ends longer to attached the cover later on.

Not everyone have stand metal holders right? :)
If you can't find anything suitable then two long branches with an Y end are perfect too!




This photo showing my flower garden rather then construction , camera focus did not listen to me this time but you get the idea of how big it is ;P



Step 2.
Making a tent cover.
I remembered to have some old cheap duvet cover which we stopped use it ages ago, plain white.
My plan was to provide as much shade as possible so decided to ripped my duvet cover on the edges to get a bigger and longer piece of fabric.
The plain white seemed to be boring , drawing on it was the next idea ;)
I used Sharpie markers for this step.
Ela like hunting for insects especially ants so I drew them along with ladybirds , worms , flowers , fruits and ice cream , anything Summer and garden related.



My husband had a laugh I get carried away with the amount of ant's legs...
Yep, 12 legs all together :D

Step 3.
Combine the cover with construction.

To do that I simply tied the middle edges of the cover to a bamboo stick ends with existing strings...



Then I tied corners of the cover with another strings, added tent pins and pushed into the ground.
I did the same with the middle so it looked like this on both sides of a tent.



That's it!
It was quick, easy and can be reuse every Summer :)











We added picnic blanket and few cushions, the perfect chill zone...not only for children :)


A tent also proofs to be a great fun at the evening , kids loved to pretend late night camping with a torch and scary stories :)







Make one yourself!

6 comments:

  1. Hopefully, I'll soon see my blog on here.
    Kids Tent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is important and everything. However think about if you added some great photos or video clips to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with images and video clips, this site could definitely be one of the greatest in its niche. Fantastic blog!
    WiFI ACCESS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awning In A Box12 March 2020 at 22:19

    I found this blog post to be very informative. I have already bookmarked this link. Keep us the Good work. We are also the leading outdoor awning fabric provider company offering various awning products.

    ReplyDelete